Books and Reading
700+ Spectacular, Mysterious,, Wonderful Web Sites for Kids and the Adults Who Care About Them
Ask Jeeves for Kids
Letterboxing North America
Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood
The White House Kids’ Page
Geography and History
Science and Technology
Regional School District 17
Connecticut Home Educator’s Association
Children’s Literature Web Guide
Connecticut Parent Advocacy Center
Great Kids CT
Tufts University Child & Family WebGuide
Your Child: a Health Resource Guide
10 Ways Busy Parents Can Encourage Reading
1. Bring books on errands – while driving to karate class, to the doctor, or to Home Depot, even those long trips over the river & through the woods to Grandma’s house!
2. Encourage older sisters & brothers to read to their younger siblings.
3. Turn pizza with friends into “readers & eaters” or a hike into “walkers & talkers”.
4. Put a really interesting-looking book or magazine in a spot around the house your child is sure to see… maybe on their bed or in the bedroom.
5. Shave 15 minutes off TV time each night and make it Reading Time.
6. Have your child read out loud to you while you’re getting dinner ready or folding clothes.
7. Go to the library regularly – make Tuesday night Library & Pizza Night.
8. Suggest magazine subscriptions as gifts when aunts and uncles want ideas for birthdays.
9. Ask your child to read the recipe out loud when you’re cooking or the instruction manual when you’re assembling something.
10. When you read the newspaper, share the comics or kids’ section with them.
BONUS: BRING YOUR CHILD TO THE LIBRARY!
School Summer Reading Lists
Killingworth Elementary School suggests that their students continue reading throughout the summer. Visit the KES media center’s website for details on the KES summer reading challenge and recommended titles for grades K through 4.
HK Middle School has their own summer reading challenge. Visit the middle school’s media center for instructions and suggested reading lists.
The Helpful Links Section is presented as a convenience. The Killingworth Library is not responsible for the information on these internet sites.